Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Keep dreaming




FOR A NEW BEGINNING


In out-of-the-way places of the heart,
Where your thoughts never think to wander,
This beginning has been quietly forming,
Waiting until you were ready to emerge.
For a long time it has watched your desire,
Feeling the emptiness growing inside you,
Noticing how you willed yourself on,
Still unable to leave what you had outgrown.
It watched you play with the seduction of safety
And the gray promises that sameness whispered,
Heard the waves of turmoil rise and relent,
Wondered would you always live like this.
Then the delight, when your courage kindled,
And out you stepped onto new ground,
Your eyes young again with energy and dream,
A path of plenitude opening before you.
Though your destination is not yet clear
You can trust the promise of this opening;
Unfurl yourself into the grace of beginning
That is one with your life’s desire.
Awaken your spirit to adventure;
Hold nothing back, learn to find ease in risk;
Soon you will be home in a new rhythm,
For your soul senses the world that awaits you.

From Benedictus: A Book of Blessings
By John O'Donohue (Bantam Press 2007)



I could probably stop right there.

I read this to Sam last night and it was not necessary for me to comment.

I didn't need to tell him that this speaks to my soul - that it washes over the place in me that wants a life far away from the current patterns and demands.

I especially love the line "find ease in risk."


Today marks 10 years at my current job. That is the longest I have ever committed to anything (other than the kids.) Before this my longest stay in any job was three years - I remember passing the three year mark here and being amazed that I had stayed so long and now here I am. I was "nearly 40" when I started here - you can do the math on that one.


Quick update on previous blog entry: When Robert F Kennedy Jr spoke here he talked about the coal mining in West Virginia and how they were blowing the tops off of the mountains there.

Yesterday there was a report on NPR about this: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=102572761&sc=emaf

The EPA is reviewing this practice with concerns about the pollution to waterways. I was astounded to hear evidence of a real change in policy, only 10 weeks into Obama's administration. RFK Jr was correct - this current administration really does get it! I have been reading articles on the BBC and also in The Olive Press (an English language newspaper about Spain and specifically Andulucia -southern Spain) http://www.theolivepress.es/

Both publications have so much more information about the condition of the environment than anything that gets reported in the US. It really is an urgent situation and so to have Obama make a move to reverse the free-for-all that Bush oversaw for 8 years is really encouraging.


That's it for today. Cheers-




No comments:

Post a Comment